The only thing that can't be automated in Excel is the input of raw data... and even that can sometimes be done. If you are looking to avoid repetitive tasks in your Excel spreadsheet (clearing out data to start a new month, manually incrementing dates, copy your data to historical tables, etc...) you should know that it's more than just possible!
There are a wide variety of Excel gurus and specialists out there that you should seriously think about hiring.
Why should I hire an Excel consultant?
- Do you perform repetitive tasks in Excel? Some examples may include:
- Clearing out worksheet cells to re-use your worksheets
- Putting in you own name every time you open your workbook
- Copying current data to historical columns
- Saving a backup every month under a different filename
- If you share your workbooks with others, do they constantly come back broken?
- Formulas missing or overwritten?
- People inserting rows where they shouldn't?
- Invalid data in cells? (text in numerical fields, etc...)
- Do you use your Excel information to do tasks in other Microsoft Office programs?
- Mailing labels in Word?
- Billing letters in Word?
- Charts in Powerpoint?
- Emails through Outlook?
- Do you use your data to look up information elsewhere?
- Do you want to do in depth data analysis, but find yourself without either the time or expertise?
- Do you just plain want to learn more about the power of Microsoft Excel?
If you answered "Yes" to ANY of the questions above, you should consider hiring your very own Excel guru. Not only do you get their expertise, but you get their passion for all things Excel!
Of course, there is much more to Excel than automation, and much more that needs to be covered to truly meet the needs of all Excel users. Whether you need help building an add-in, fixing a broken workbook, redesigning workbooks for efficiency, or building an great looking Excel dashboard report, there is a consultant out there who can handle the task. The big questions, of course, are "how much will it cost" and "how do you find a reliable consultant?"
How much do you spend on repetitive tasks?
Consulting appears expensive at first glance, so you need to work out the estimated payback before you pursue someone for your project. To help with this I've designed a spreadsheet to calculate just how much you spend on repetitive work. This will do two things for you... first, it will probably shock you to see how much you spend on repetitive work. Second, it will give you something to gauge against when someone quotes on your task, and allow you to figure out how long it will take to break even.
Simply plug in the details of your task into the Microsoft Excel WebApp below, (Yes! It's a fully functional spreadsheet, right in the web page. Type in the blue cells and click the little filter icons to change the time period values.)
Alternately, you can also download and use Download our Automation Evaluation form! It is an Excel file, which contains no macros, so it is not a security risk to your system.
I'm convinced! Where to I find a reputable Excel consultant?"
Well, if you're looking for training in Microsoft Excel, then look no further. I offer a variety of training services! If you want to hire someone to help build a solution, then have a look at our consulting options.